Ginny with the seat cushion, in the company of our original LRT. [Photo: M. Scrutton.]
The 'Ginny' is based on one of the two G(23) Stock cars (Nos 4167 and 4176) converted in 1938/9 to allow driving from both ends.
These operated the District Railway shuttle service between Acton Town and South Acton until the closure of the latter in 1959, when both cars were scrapped. (The series was introduced in 1923 as 'G' class, but became 'Q23' class upon modification. The two single cars were not classified 'Q...,' but as G(23) instead.)
This service was known as the 'Ginny', the 'Tea Run' or 'There and back while the kettle boils'. The short journey time and tight turnaround at South Acton meant you could put a kettle on the fire when leaving Acton Town and be back just as it came to the boil.
Interior view of a G / Q23 car - as preserved at London's Transport Museum at Covent Garden, London. [Photo: A. Allum.]
Also built by Fred Blois, the 7¼" gauge 'Ginny' was bought by Daniel and Adrian at the same time as the 1938 stock.
Fred only got as far as the body, chassis and bogie frames, and work to fit wheels, motors and control equipment has recently been completed. It was inaugurated in March 2011, but further modifications (motors on ALL axles etc) are necessary.
Ginny immediately after unveiling on March 12th 2011, but just before the seat cushion was fitted! [Photo: A. Janes.]
Under the body ... To avoid compromising the strength of the body formers, especially around the clerestory roof, the batteries sit in lowered trays, adding also to the visual effect! [Photo: D. Bullions.]
< 1938 Stock | Photos >